How to use the Ear Candle
Please take the following precautions before using an ear candle:
- Always use with the help of another person
- Take proper safety precautions - there is a fire risk with any burning candle
- Do not use in the case of ear disease
- Do not use in places exposed to draught or where gas or inflammatory substances are present
- Do not expose to heat surfaces
- Do not use on children under the age of 6 years
- For children always perform ear cleaning under adult supervision
- Protect your hair with a towel while in use
- Do not push the candle deep in the ear
- Before you start, always place a glass of water within reach in order to extingush the ear candle.
Ensure you have a place where you can lie down comfortably and remain still for 10 - 15 mins as this is the average burning time.
Lie down on one side in a comfortable position, using a blanket to keep yourself warm if necessary. Support your head with a pillow as the auditory canal is in a vertical position. In order to protect your hair & clothing, your partner can place a cover around the treatment area.
You may wish to fit a protective paper ring to teh ear candle as a further precaution against falling debris from the candle. This is done by sliding the thin end of the candle through the pre cut hole in the ring. Your partner should light the ear candle at the wide end and place the non burning end gently into the ear passage. A light turning movement should be applied until the ear candle is sealed in place. The ear candle is placed properly when you hear the pleasant crackling and hissing of the flame. Your partner will hold the ear candle firmly in place through out the process. Take care that no hair is in reach of the flame.
The ear candle will never self extinguish! At most, the ear candle may be burnt about 2/3 of the way down the candle. When you have reached this point carefully remove the remainder of the ear candle and extinguish it in the glass of water nearby.
Treat both ears
It is generally advisable to treat both ears one after the other, each with a new ear candle. Any condensation material that remains attached to the fine hairs should be gently removed.
Ear candles are best stored in a dry & cool place.
If you are suffering from ear problems you should seek the advice of a qualified medical doctor. In certain circumstances the use of a ear candle may aggravate an existing ear problem. If you are unsure whether to us an ear candle please consult your family doctor or other qualified medical professional